Friday, October 28, 2011

Curly Hair Salons in New York

Curlisto  or  Devachan ???

I am a curly head that is always looking for the right place to take my precious curly locks.  If I go to a place that does not know how to cut curly hair I will walk out looking like Rosanna Dana, which was a good look in the 70’s or if you are a model for American Apparel .

My first stop was Curlisto that has a monthly seminar at their 5th Avenue location.  Call 212-997-8800 for future dates and sign up for the upcoming seminars.  Arrive 10 minutes early to get a good seat.  You will be welcomed with a glass of champagne or wine…some grapes, a little cheese.  The presentation will be about 1  ½ hour.  The cool part is if you raise your hand you might be the hair model for the seminar and they will use all of their products for your hair right there on the spot.  At the end of the seminar you will get discounts for hair product and your first hair appointment. 

I did use the discount for my first hair appointment.  The process was a simple wash and conditioner.  Here they cut my hair wet.  After the cut my stylist showed me how to finger comb my hair and how to put the curls up at the top of my head at night to help lengthen the curls in the morning.  They have a great how to video on their website.  Click on
 http://shop.curlisto.com/ to learn about their products and how to use the product in your hair.


My curls are wider at Curlisto


Six months later I went for my second hair cut to Devachan in their Soho location.  In the basement of an office building is a curly haven.  Not a straight head in the house.  I thought that was pretty cool and rare.  My hair was cut and shaped dry.  Much detail was placed on the ends.  I definitely could see and feel the difference.  I enjoyed my rasberry tea while sitting under the dryer, I read the book Curly Girl which was required reading.
Devachan also gives you a savings card to rack up points for Deva curl hair products that you purchase in the salon.


 My curls are curly cues at Devachan

I am going to say that I only get my hair cut every six months.    Today I pay between $100 - $130 for each hair cut.  What you say?!  Where is the frugality around that?  Now for a curly hair person it is all about the right hair cut and style that lasts a long time , which makes all the difference.  I use to pay $50  every other month  totaling $300 + tips a year.    I was sick of trying to find the right place to cut my curls and the stress of always finding a new stylist and not getting what I needed.  Going  to salons that specialize with curly hair only has taken off the emotional stress.  That alone is worth it.  I also save many trips and tips going to so many different salons.




No comments:

Post a Comment